Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Five Years... Five Incredible Years

This past Sunday marked our five year anniversary of receiving Savannah's referral. The calendar says that it has been that long and when I look at my daughter I see all that she is capable of and learning. However, when I look back at pictures and the memories of random moments that seemed so insignificant at the time come flooding back, I pause and ask myself where did the time go? People laugh at me always toting my pocket sized Nikon Coolpix around taking pictures and video of the kids, and I'll be honest there are times when I'm so busy documenting their lives that I don't fully engage in the moment, but when I capture the moments that we look back on and laugh about I am happy to be the "paparazzi mom."




Savannah was 15 months old when we brought her home, so much like a baby but still something in her spirit that made her seem wiser than her age. She has always carried herself with a sense of purpose, intention in her steps and actions. A friend of mine described her expressions as "engaging," and I think that is a terrific word to describe her. The delightful element to her personality is that through it all shines a little girl who is set on enthusiastically exploring her world, reminding us that in the end she is just a kid learning the ropes.



Like... learning how to feed herself yogurt. On this day she put the "Yo!!" in Yo-Baby:





Letting the world know just how much your maini (my-knee) means to you:


(I can tell you that it has been several years since maini was this shade of yellow... now it looks like something a dog buried and dug up several times with a slight grey tinge to it.)

I remember walking through Michael's and Jo-Ann's in August '05 just as the Halloween decorations were being put out. I really enjoy Halloween, not focusing so much on the dark side, but having fun with the lighter side of the occasion... picking out pumpkins, getting dressed up in costumes and trick-or-treating with friends and family, and the decorations celebrating Autumn. As I was walking along the aisles I realized that I needed to teach her how to not be scared of some creepier looking things and went about it the only way I could think of... with humor. I showed her a witches face and with a smile on my face and laughter in my voice said to her "spooookkkkyyy," which made her giggle. Soon enough she was doing this on her own and spent the next 2 months entertaining people with her act.









Experiencing how cold snow can feel on your face:












Then there is showing off tricks that others have taught you:






Searching for her first Easter eggs:






Savannah, you have blessed my life in more ways than I can ever tell you. I love you so much xiao mei. Wo ai ni, Mama

1 comment: