Monday, March 29, 2010

The Wheels Are Turning

Yesterday Savannah said something interesting to me about the gifts she was given through her birth-parents, her talent with art and singing. She has decided that these gifts are from her maternal birth-grandmother. A few days ago the kids were skipping through Target and wondering out loud how tall their birth-parents were.

I am not bothered by their conversations, I'm actually happy that they feel comfortable asking and talking about them rather than fearing bringing the topic up. I'm curious to know if any of you have experienced something similar.

To Savannah's remark about her birth-grandmother I responded with the most honest answer I could think of, "It's entirely possible, I just don't know for certain."

2 comments:

  1. I love that they have those conversations- Ellie Grace doesn't do it even though she is free to talk about it at any time. She is very matter of fact about being born in China, etc. Niklas has been told and he hears it from her, but he hasn't tuned in to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is normal and healthy that they have curiosity. If we were in their position, we certainly could be, right? You are absolutely correct that we should not be afraid of it. Only those things that are shameful are kept silent and adoption and birthparent traits are not shameful and should be talked about.

    ReplyDelete