Monday, March 8, 2010

Brief Follow-up

In my blog post on March 1, 2010 (Observations and Reflections) I remarked on how Savannah's drawing seems to reflect her environment and the people she is around. I'm not certain if this coincidence or not, but since our most recent trip to Vancouver Savannah has been creating people who appear to be Chinese vs. the blonde-haired and blue-eyed variety she had been doing.

Below are two examples of her art. The one in color was done in early February and the one in black and white was done over this past weekend.



"Girl in Spring" by Savannah Kowal



"Girl from China" by Savannah Kowal

I'm not sure of the entire story behind the "Girl in Spring" picture, but the "Girl from China" (who she insists isn't her) is what this little girl looks like after "she has been spinning around and around, suddenly stopping and feeling very, very dizzy." (Which explains the eyes moving around in her head.)

Coincidence or not, I find the shift interesting either way. Oh, and when I did ask if this was a picture of her I was quickly corrected by a series of rhetorical questions, "I don't have hair things like this do I? My dresses from China are short-sleeved, not long sleeved like this one. My lips aren't big like hers are they?" I countered with "Well, yes you do have hair pretties like that, you just haven't worn them in a long time. No, you are right you didn't have a long-sleeved dress like that, but you did have a coat and now a vest with frog closures. And yes dear girl, your mouth is shaped like that. I know that because I've been smooching you for years now." In the end we decided to call it a truce and hug it out instead.

1 comment:

  1. Whatever the story behind the drawings, I am still amazed at how well she draws. She may really enjoy art classes. She is really, really good!

    ReplyDelete