Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Power of Music

You know that feeling you get when you hear a song and are transported back to a place in time when that song was significant? Maybe it was from a crazy moment with friends when you were a kid. Perhaps it's the song that reminds you of someone that was once close to you or one that was an anthem to the soundtrack of your life.

During both of our adoptions a few songs took on special meaning to me and reminded me of my children that I didn't yet know.

While we were waiting for Savannah's referral I used to watch endless adoption videos on YouTube. Scott would walk into the den and find me with tears streaming down my face as I watched yet another family receive their child. I tell you Hallmark is missing the boat with adoption moments like that, and actually Kleenex has an untapped market segment as well. I came across one video that used Stevie Wonder's "Isn't She Lovely" as one of the soundtrack songs. I'd encountered many who used Steven Curtis Chapman songs and other more traditional Chinese songs. There was something about that song though that captured the happiness and joy I'd anticipated (and hoped!) would happen. "I Hope You Dance" by LeeAnn Womack was like one giant wish for my daughter set to music. All the things I hoped she'd discover and keep her grounded at the same time, accomplish what she wanted and dream big, but don't forget about the seemingly mundane moments that provide so much magic and wonder.

Baden's journey was different... we knew who we were waiting for. In my post about the Long and Winding Road I mentioned the significance of the song performed by Rascal Flatts, "My Wish." For a child born with a cleft lip and palate, the words "Show the world the warmth of your smile" are a powerful inspiration. I think of not just Baden, but all the kids who are born cleft-affected and are written off as less than worthy because they were born with a birth-defect that was beyond their control. So much potential, so much promise... and some cultures believe that isn't good enough.

One Particular Harbour reminds me of both kids actually. "There's this one particular harbor sheltered from the wind, where the children play on the shore each day and all is safe within." Kids, for the most part, lead a life with their priorities in order and live in the moment. They naturally find a way to do what makes them happy, sing when they want to sing, play when they want to play discovering so much about their world in the process. I hope that as my kids grow up they are able to visit their "One Particular Harbour" more often than not. I wish that their journey through life allows them to find happiness in what they do and stay true to who they are.

4 comments:

  1. I had music from both of my adoptions too.....and music for Emmie and Daniel too. ;) Now.....just move this to your sidebar. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the help Steffie!! Now to figure out how to get my blog as pretty as all yours are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you write.
    Thanks for sharing. : )
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Stacy. :) I hope everyone is getting settled in at your house and that you are recovering from jet lag well.

    ReplyDelete