Friday, February 5, 2010

How About That

It's funny how life works when you leave it all up to fate.

About a month ago a list of nominees went out to the general membership of the Northwest Chinese Cultural Association asking for people to vote for our 2010-2012 board members. I thought I had mentioned that I wasn't interested in a second term on the board, but apparently if I had I didn't speak up loud enough. When I saw my name on the list of nominees, I voted for the people that I thought would do a good job leading the NWCCA and implementing the changes that we tried to set in motion back in 2008. I purposefully left my name off my voting list in part because I didn't think I'd actually be elected again (the last time was basically because no one else was interested in being on the board and I wanted to keep the NWCCA going) and because I was really wanting to focus my time and attention on other aspects of our crazy lives. In the end I finally decided that it was up to fate... what was to be would be.

Much to my shock (and bewilderment) I was actually elected to be on the board again. As our NWCCA out-going president told me "People really like you!" Twelve hours later I am still surprised, but also realizing that apparently my work is not yet done. And this time I am the true minority... the only non-Chinese member of the board. It would appear that I need to expand my vocabulary beyond "cold beer," "bottom" (as in what you sit on), "ni hao," "Zai jian,", family members, the names of a couple random fruit (which I learned while watching Sagwa with Savannah), and a few others that I can't recall right now.

For now I will leave you with this as we head into the last week of the Year of the Ox...

Gong Xi Fa Cai! Xin Nian Kuai Le! Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment