Friday, January 22, 2010

"Come on! Come on!"

My little girl loves to sing. Not just a simple tune, but a song that she belts out from the depths of her being. A song that reminds me of that saying "Sing like no one is listening." A couple years ago Savannah started singing a song that I call "Come On! Come On!" It began with the verse of "Come on! Come on! Sing with me! Come on sing with me!" and she'd sing it over and over regardless of what she was doing - playing with her My Little Pony horses or picking up her room. Since then she has changed some of the words, but the tune and the "Come on!" remain. Tonight she added a new verse - "Come on! Come on! It's a rainy day and time to play! Come on! Play with me!" Listening to her happily sing makes me smile, but with this verse it also made me wonder if she is channeling her friends and family who live in rain soaked, mud ridden, not at all sunny Southern California.

I've told Savannah that though I love music, I cannot sing. At all. Neither can virtually everyone biologically related to me. The family joke was that we just needed to obtain a professional recording of "Happy Birthday" to play at family gatherings. For these reasons I have told Savannah all along that her voice and ability to sing is not something that she picked up from me. Her voice is a gift that her birth-parents gave her, whether they could sing or perhaps another ancestor. I truly hope she doesn't get to the point where she feels self-conscious singing.

Savannah,
Go on... sing like no one is listening.
Love,
Mom

1 comment:

  1. Been a while since I've been blog-lurking. I've been working on a business proposal and shuttling kids back and forth.

    Anyway, were you referring to my daughter who sings, at the top of her lungs, whatever she happens to see ("the sky is blue, the car is red, no trucks allowed...")

    Yes, we are starting to recover from our deluge. Pretty soon the kids can play in the backyard again! :) We don't have basements here so the kids have to play in the house. Can you say "cabin fever"?

    ReplyDelete